Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chemo Round 2 on Wednesday?

So the plan for "now" is that Ava will likely start chemo on Wednesday. There was such a small amount of blasts in her bone marrow biopsy that it's difficult to determine the amount of leukemia cells (though it may be less than 1%?) They sent away for more testing to see for sure.

So, we still don't know which chemotherapy they'll go with at this point. If Ava gets ALL treatment, apparently it is done on an outpatient basis. But we don't know right now for how many days -- in the beginning, we understood ALL treatment to be 5 days versus the 10 days with AML. However, it is unclear to us whether this was just for induction (and if they will "induct" Ava with ALL this time, since she already had a round of AML). The treatment regimen seems to be easier with ALL, except there is one drug that always gives people a reaction and they have not figured out (as far as we know) how to help avoid Ava having a reaction.

As you can see, there's a lot of waiting around at this point, and it's difficult to really plan anything since we don't know when chemo will start or which type of chemo, etc. Thanks for your perseverance in waiting it out with us, we really don't usually know much more than you! Thank you again for faithfully praying for Ava and the Lee family!

No comments: